Recipe: Perfect Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff. This recipe uses a roux to create a beef gravy that is then thickened with sour cream AND cream cheese. A little bit of zip is added using pepper flakes. With its tender chunks of beef coated in a luscious creamy sauce and served over a bed of buttery noodles, it's no wonder Beef Stroganoff is such a hit.
Ingredients of Beef Stroganoff
- It’s 1.5 pounds of beef.
- It’s 1 of onion.
- You need 4 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1.5 tbsp of flour, more to powder the beef.
- You need 1.5 cups of half & half cream.
- Prepare 2 cups of instant rice.
- You need 0.5 tsp of paprika.
- You need 0.2 tsp of nutmeg.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of tomato sauce.
- Prepare 2.5 cups of water.
Season the steak strips with House Seasoning, then dust with flour. In a large skillet, quickly brown them on both sides in the olive oil and butter. Remove the steak from the pan. Add the onion slices and mushrooms to the pan drippings.
Beef Stroganoff step by step
- Slice the beef into thin stripes.
- Add a significant amount of salt and pepper..
- Coat the beef stripes with flour.
- Fry the stripes until they're golden then take off heat.
- Finely chop the onion and saute it until slightly caramelized, then add the minced garlic. Stir.
- Add tomato sauce, flour, paprika, and nutmeg. Stir until even.
- Add beef slices to the mix, then gradually add water while stirring to avoid clumping the flour.
- Raise heat until it starts to boil, then turn heat down, cover, and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cream and let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Start preparing rice 13 minutes after adding water. Boil 2 cups of water and add 2 cups of rice. Turn off heat and cover for 5 minutes.
Cook ground beef in melted butter until browned. This version maintains all the classic flavors of the traditional dish, combining lean beef and onions with a creamy sauce made of a roux, beef broth, and sour cream. Stroganoff sauce is a sour cream gravy made with beef broth that's thickened with flour. It's flavoured with mustard and has mushrooms in it. I love the pale brown creamy colour against the deep golden brown seared beef!