Easiest Way to Make Delicious Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
Turkish Red Cabbage Salad. The key to a delicious Turkish red cabbage salad The key to cabbage based salads is to slice the cabbage very thinly – as thinly as you possibly can. If the slices are too thick, it will be tough to eat and the bitter flavours are more apparent, even dominating. Use a mandolin if you like; I prefer to use my sharpest knife.
Ingredients of Turkish Red Cabbage Salad
- Prepare of For the salad:.
- Prepare 1/2 of small red cabbage, cored and very finely sliced.
- It’s 1 of large tomato, chopped into small cubes.
- Prepare 1/4 of cucumber, a couple of strips shaved with a veg peeler, then quartered lengthways and thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1 of small carrot, coarsley grated.
- It’s 1 of small red onion, peeled, halved and finely sliced.
- It’s 1 of small bunch parsley, half finely chopped and the other half roughly chopped.
- You need of For the dressing:.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 2-3 tbsp of red wine vinegar (add 2, then taste to see if it needs a little more.
- You need of Juice of 1 lemon.
- It’s 1 tbsp of pomegranate molasses.
- You need 1 tsp of dried mint.
- Prepare of Good pinch of salt.
- You need 1 of heaped tsp sumac.
You know, sometimes simple is best. Instead of making coleslaw, give your cabbage the Turkish treatment and you'll love it! The crunchy fresh taste as well as the vibrant purple colour make it a memorable salad. red cabbage salad with freshly chopped dill Finely shred the cabbage, discarding the thick central stalk. Sprinkle with the salt and toss thoroughly to combine.
Turkish Red Cabbage Salad step by step
- In a small jug, stir all the dressing ingredients together (except for the sumac) and leave to one side..
- In a large bowl or plate, pile up the sliced red cabbage and using your hands, mix in some of the finely chopped parsley..
- In a separate bowl, gently mix together the carrot, tomatoes, onion and cucumber. Then add this to the top of the red cabbage pile..
- Pour over the dressing (mainly around the red cabbage) and a little over the top. Refrigerate for an hour before serving..
- To serve, sprinkle the salad with the sumac and the roughly chopped parsley..
- Add some additional cucumber slices and lemon quarters for decoration (optional)..
The salt will penetrate the cabbage, remove moisture and slightly soften it. In a bowl, combine cabbage with salt. Gently knead the mixture allowing cabbage to soften, releasing some of its juice. Rinse and drain well in a colander. In a bowl combine cabbage, lemon juice and olive oil.