Easiest Way to Cook Delicious Finnish Style Beef Stroganoff (Lihakastike)
Finnish Style Beef Stroganoff (Lihakastike). Mel butter in a pan and sauté the onion and beef, adding salt and pepper. Transfer the sautéed onions and beef to a pan, and add enough water to cover. Toss bay leaves and bring to a boil.
Ingredients of Finnish Style Beef Stroganoff (Lihakastike)
- It’s 800 grams of to 1 kg Beef (a block, ground or stewing beef).
- It’s 2 of Onions.
- Prepare 6 tbsp of White flour.
- Prepare 100 grams of Butter.
- It’s 1 dash of Salt and pepper.
- You need 2 of Bay leaves.
- You need 1 of Water.
- Prepare 1 of Heavy cream.
It's like beef stroganoff or beef stew. My mother-in-law taught me this recipe, and it's a family favorite now. If you have a pressure cooker, you can reduce the cooking time.. Add a little butter or oil if necessary and brown the meat on high heat quickly on each side and keep stirring.
Finnish Style Beef Stroganoff (Lihakastike) step by step
- Take the beef out of the refrigerator and leave out for at least 1 hour to allow to come to room temperature. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Finely chop the onions..
- Mel butter in a pan and sauté the onion and beef, adding salt and pepper..
- Transfer the sautéed onions and beef to a pan, and add enough water to cover. Toss bay leaves and bring to a boil..
- When it comes to a boil, skim off the scum and turn down the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours, checking occasionally, until the meat becomes fall-apart tender..
- If you want to add a rich flavor, dry-roast flour in a pan until it's brown as shown in the photo above. If you're in a hurry, you can skip this step..
- Add the browned flour to the pan little by little, mixing between additions. When the stew has thickened, stop adding flour. Simmer for another 15 minutes or so, while keeping an eye on it..
- Add fresh cream to taste. We like to add about 100 ml of cream..
- In Finland, this is eaten with mashed or boiled potatoes. It's served on Christmas day too..
Add the tomato paste, onion, mushrooms, beef broth and heavy cream (or sour cream). Feel free to serve over any kind of noodles, rice, or polenta. For those days when you're craving a cozy and comforting bowl of beef and noodles… Pat meat dry with paper towels. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat until very hot. Working in batches, add meat in single layer and cook just until brown.